Attempted Motor Vehicle Theft
The UMBC Police issue Crime Alerts to protect members of the University community, to promote safety, to help reduce the likelihood of future crimes, and to raise awareness of how to seek prompt assistance should a crime occur.
Reported Incident: Attempted Motor Vehicle Theft
Location: Lot 23
Reported Date/Time: November 4, 2023, 12:31 a.m.
An attempted motor vehicle theft was reported to UMBC Police on November 4, 2023. The reported incident occurred in Lot 23 between 3:00 p.m. on November 1 and 12:15 a.m. on November 4.
If you have any information about this incident, please call UMBC Police.
Additional Information & Resources
- Victims are not to blame. Perpetrators are responsible for criminal behavior. The following safety tips can reduce vulnerability:
- Stay alert and attuned to people and circumstances around you. Report suspicious activity to UMBC Police immediately.
- Remove USB cables from vehicles while not in use.
- Park in well-lit, high visible areas.
- Lock your vehicle and take valuables with you.
- Consider purchasing a steering wheel lock or other anti-theft device.
- Due to recent thefts, Hyundai and Kia are now providing a free software update to owners of affected models. Owners of these vehicles may contact Hyundai (toll-free at 800-633-5151), Kia (toll-free 800-333-4542), or your local Hyundai/Kia dealership for information.
Bruce Perry '97, Chief of Police
Posted: November 4, 2023, 10:20 AM