Our Base Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) is reviewed at least annually. This plan illustrates our institutional framework for coordinating diverse emergency management capabilities for the UMBC community.
- We separate the response structure (base plan) from detailed procedures (appendices) and strategic activities (annexes). This helps facilitate updates to each plan component.
- EOP Appendices describe operational procedures in detailed “How-To-Guides.” Expect these to change often as we integrate lessons learned. These resources can be found on our Notification and Response Procedures webpage.
- The EOP Annexes listed below are coordinated agreements that fulfill strategic purposes. Expect these to remain stable and require fewer updates unless there are significant organizational changes.
EOP Annex 1: Protection, Prevention, and Preparedness (3P) Plan
The 3P Plan integrates readiness measures for security threats, specifically: 1) active assailant attacks; 2) bomb threats or threats of terrorism; and 3) suspicious mail/packages, devices, or vehicles. This plan describes how UMBC integrates training and resources, situational awareness, and safety measures to improve the readiness of UMBC community members for these security threats. Resources:
- Protection, Prevention, and Preparedness (3P) Plan – Coming Soon
- UMBC’s Active Assailant Awareness Training and Response Resource Webpage
EOP Annex 2: Crisis Management Plan
The Crisis Management Plan provides guidance to support the UMBC President when responding to a crisis. The plan includes clear reporting and escalation protocols, response structures and team roles, and crisis communications procedures. Resources:
EOP Annex 3: Continuity of Operations Plan
The Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) describes the processes UMBC uses to identify essential functions and the actions we take to ensure their continuous performance during periods of disruption. Resources:
- Continuity of Operations Plan – January 2023
- COOP Training: Continuous Performance of our Essential Functions – May 2023
- Business Process Analysis (BPA) Worksheet (Word Document) – June 2023 (a systematic method of mapping organizational work functions and capturing institutional knowledge that is not otherwise well documented)
- Department Emergency Action Plans – Coming Soon
- Maryland COOP Guide for State Agencies – December 2021
- Continuity Surveys for Colleges and Departments (use these on-line survey tools to identifying organizational work functions):
- Office of the President – Coming Soon
- Institutional Advancement
- Office of Research & Creative Achievement
- Administration & Finance
- Division of Student Affairs
- Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
- College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences
- College of Engineering and Information Technology – Coming Soon
- The Erickson School – Coming Soon
- The Graduate School – Coming Soon
- The School of Social Work – Coming Soon
EOP Annex 4: Outbreak Response Plan
The Outbreak Response Plan describes response to an outbreak of a contagious disease on our campus or at an affiliate location. This plan is administered by Retriever Integrated Health (RIH) and approved by the Vice President for Student Affairs. Resources:
- Outbreak Response Plan – September 2022
- Maryland General Assembly Senate Bill (SB) 329 (Olivia’s Law). This law requires each public institution of higher education in Maryland to submit an updated Outbreak Response Plan to the Maryland Department of Health (MDH) on or before August 1 of each year.
UMBC Emergency Management Strategy
- Emergency Management Strategic Plan – February 2023. This plan provides strategic direction to build and enhance our capabilities. Our goal is to empower leaders at all levels to ensure coordination, cooperation, and focused effort from the entire University and its many partners.
- Emergency Management Concept of Operations – September 2023. This presentation illustrates roles and responsibilities at the Executive, Strategic, and Tactical leadership levels to proactively “manage the chaos.”
- Testing, Training, and Exercise (TT&E) Plan – Coming Soon
- Corrective Action & Improvement Plan – Coming Soon
USM Emergency Management Policy
- USM VI-12.00 Policy on Emergency Conditions Cancellation and Release of Employees – May 1992
- USM VI-13.00 Policy on Campus Emergency Planning Preparedness and Response – April 2017
- USM VIII-20.00 Policy on Enterprise Risk Management – November 2019
- USM VIII-21.00 Policy on Crisis Management – November 2019
Federal Emergency Management Guidance
- FEMA Guide for Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans – June 2013
- FEMA Situation Manual: National Tabletop Exercise for Institutions of Higher Learning – October 2014
- Department of Education Handbook for Campus Safety and Security Reporting – June 2016
- NFPA Emergency Evacuation Planning Guide for People with Disabilities – June 2016