UMBC students, employees, and community members are encouraged to participate in the Police Ride Along program to learn more about the department and gain firsthand experience of a police officer’s tour of duty. Anyone interested should apply using the form below. Please note, submitting the form is considered authorization for the UMBC Police Department to conduct a criminal record check.
Ride Along Program Rules & Guidelines
- Participants must be eighteen years of age or older
- Participation is limited to two (2) Ride Alongs per year
- Ride Alongs are two (2) hours long, but can be terminated by the participant at any time
- Participants must always comply with officers’ instructions
- Participants are always required to wear a seat belt in the vehicle
- Participants are prohibited from entering a residence without the expressed consent of the resident
- Participants should wear appropriate casual attire. Shorts, dresses/skirts, ripped jeans, sandals, and t-shirts with offensive logos/graphics are not permitted.
- Participants are prohibited from carrying weapons
- Participants are required to sign a Police Ride Along Waiver of Liability Form
- Participants must authorize and pass a criminal background check prior to Ride Along